In this era, we are surrounded by chemicals and machines. Unnatural food brings the unhygienic measures and treatment of deadly diseases with side effects. They also grant acceleration to the environment’s toxicity. Green food with precautionary wealthy metabolic constituents and disease control is the again primary concern of the community. Cumin is the daily use spice with earthy and warm flavour in curries. We can intake it in many ways. This article arrays the Health Benefits of Cumin in our daily life.
What is Cumin?
Cumin (Zeera) is the commonly used spice, originated from the herbaceous flowering plant with Apiaceae’s family name further belonging to parsley. The botanical name for cumin is the Cuminum cyminum. It is native to the territory of North America, the Middle East, and East India. The cumin plant grows 30-50 cm above the ground. Hands harvest it. Its seed was first evacuated in Syria in the second millennium BC. It is also used in Egyptian archaeology. The primary production of cumin is done in India and China. They grow 70% of the total cumin distribution. Mexico is another major producer of cumin. Other significant cumin producing countries are Syria (13%), Turkey (5%), UAE (3%), and Iran.
The Health Benefits of Cumin is associated with the constituents present in it. The spice usually comprises 18g protein, 22g carbohydrates, and 44g of carbohydrates per 100g of the sample. Other nutritional components found in excess are vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium, iron, vitamin B6, and sodium-potassium. Sugars are also present in it,2.3g per 100g of the sample. Some essential metals riboflavin, magnesium, niacin, thiamin, zinc, copper also add to the Health Benefits of Cumin.
Health Benefits of Cumin Seeds
Seed encloses dried fruit utilized in multiple cultures’ cuisines. The seed is used in both grounded form and as a whole.
The components present in cumin seed are luteolin and apigenin that will prevent the free radicals from attacking the healthy cells. Antioxidants are crucial to your well-being and keep your look healthy and active.
The Health benefits of cumin seeds hold anti-oxidant activity. It contains many components that keep you immune to cancer. Along with many anticancer properties, it frequently works well against colon cancer.
It is a notable traditionally recommended remedy for diarrhea. The Health benefits of cumin in diarrhea are proven experimentally in rats.
Blood Sugar Level Maintenance:
Diabetes is a globally rising burden of disease as 7th leading cause of death. Health benefits of cumin involve its usage in the management of metabolic disorders. The drugs made by cumin are used against the treatment of diabetes. Diabetic animals are treated with drugs having cumin.
Anti-inflammatory agents in cumin are responsible for the property of medical usage. It is inhaled to treat many diseases that cause inflammation in the body. The oil itself is not beneficial to it.
Lowering of Blood Cholesterol:
The reduction of Low-density lipoprotein (bad cholesterol) can prevent and keep us away from many diseases. Cumin lowers cholesterols, ultimately reducing the risk factors of multiple heart and liver diseases. Due to weight gain and abrupt loss, well-being can be affected. As it lowers cholesterols, many studies show that it helps in the loss of weight. Weight loss is essential to keep us away from many harmful diseases like cardiac disorders.
The Health benefits of cumin also append some more add-ons:
- Anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-parasitic activity.
- Relieve the period cramps in girls of all ages.
- Deals with digestive spasms, nausea, and bloating associated with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). It’s so effective that researchers suggest cumin might be an adequate replacement for people who cannot afford expensive prescription drugs to treat their IBS.
Health Benefits of Cumin oil
Cumin oil is one of the most nutritious oil globally as it contains iron, calcium, and vitamins in a large amount. Some of the health benefits of cumin oil are:
Obesity is the mother of all diseases. Regular intake of cumin oil prompts weight loss. The study found that women overweight and obese who consumed 3 grams of cumin oil every day for three months had significant decreases in body weight, waist size, and body fat. Cumin is helpful for people trying to manage their healthy body weight. Research conducted in 2015 analyzed the weight loss effect in obese and overweight adults. Outcomes were compared for adults in taking cumin with the ones having weight loss medication. Cumin oil can also help in cholesterol control.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome:
Cumin oil can cause bowel movements to keep in control. A small pilot study in 2013 marked the effects of consuming cumin essential oil drops on irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). After four weeks, experimental participants noted improvements in many symptoms, such as stomach pain and bloating. People with IBS who have chiefly encountered constipation had more regular bowel movements. Those who had mostly experienced diarrhea as a symptom had fewer bowel movements.
Cumin oil intake can relieve stress. A study has shown that cumin oil can reduce stress. Stress response was observed in the animal study. In the stressful activity, animals with prior cumin intake had a chiefly lowered response than the control group.
Cumin oil can help in Memory loss. The animal studies prove that after receiving cumin oil, they have better recall.
Health Benefits of Cumin Water
- Jeera water (cumin water) is used to relieve bloating and acidity. It helps in relieving pain and is used in curing stomach pain and also abdominal cramps.
- Cumin water is beneficial in pregnancy. It helps in pregnancy, and it is a nutritious liquid to take in. They are recommended by the doctors. Cumin seeds are enchanting to eat for pregnant ladies. They provide relief to many pregnancies affiliated problems.
- Cumin water is used to increase lactation during pregnancy. As it contains Iron, it is used to build strength postpartum. It keeps both the baby and the mom to be healthy.
- It helps to boost immunity and the lymphatic system. Cumin is an amazing root for iron intake and also deals with dietary fibre. It is essential to drink cumin water to maintain the standard working of your immune system. It combats critical conditions and reduces the risk of being ill.
- It Aids in the maintaining of the healthy respiratory system. The Health benefits of cumin also involve anti-congestion and getting relieved of mucous concentrated in the chest.
- Intake of cumin helps in controlling diabetes. It is taken empty stomach for maximum effect, and it also stimulates the production of insulin.
- It keeps the blood pressure in control. The potassium in the cumin water regulates the blood pressure.
- Cumin gives you regular energy as it contains iron and calcium.
- It is suitable for the proper functioning of the liver. The Health benefits of cumin are also involved in washing out the harmful toxins and involvement in bile secretion.
- The high amount of iron in cumin water helps to treat anaemia. Doctors suggest intaking natural cumin water for the fight against acute iron insufficiency.
Health Benefits of Cumin Powder
The grounded form of cumin seeds is cumin powder. Regular intake of cumin powder facilitates the well-being of your body. Health benefits of cumin are associated with its regular intake.
Daily intake of cumin powder lowers the digestion problem.
A small pinch of cumin powder daily makes your heart healthy and active. According to the study, there is a 10% decrease in oxidized cholesterol levels after taking cumin powder for 45 days.
- Cumin powder is an excellent antioxidant. It hinders the injury and wound from swelling. Due to its anti-inflammatory properties, it also counters inflammation in wounds.
- Cinnamaldehyde is an organic compound that is proven to be found in cumin. Cinnamaldehyde helps in maintaining a low blood sugar level. Hence, the health benefits of cumin powder have anti-diabetic properties.
- The cumin powder in concentrated form is used to indicate the conditions of diabetes in overweight people.
- Cumin can stop the long term effects of diabetes in human.
- Cumin powder is used to destroy microorganisms inside the body. Like E. coli
- Cumin powder is used to prevent cancer in the body.
This article gives a brief of the cumin plant, its cultivation, and its usage modes. Health Benefits of Cumin are deeply discussed. Cumin can be used in daily life routines in different edible forms, Like powder, seed, water, and oil. It is involved in antidiabetic activity, obesity management, and many more miscellaneous function for well-being.